Revisiting last week’s Featured Vegetable Blog post, looking for a fast one-pot meal with high appeal? Try this Beet Red Chili!
This chili goes very well with baked potatoes or sweet potatoes. It’s also fantastic with brown rice, salad, and/or steamed vegetables. The beets add a sweet flavor and bright color. Plus, they contain a lot of nutrients. As mentioned in last week’s article, beets are an excellent source of folate and vitamin B6. They are also a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, and iron.
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp olive oil
1 mild chili pepper like Anaheim or Poblano, seeded and diced
1 green, red, or yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 beet, peeled and diced
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 pound ground lean turkey breast meat
1 pound cooked beans (pinto or of choice), drained and rinsed
2 cups tomato puree
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil, onion, and garlic and cook briefly until the garlic has a nutty aroma, about 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and seasonings, cover with a lid and cook until the vegetables are a little tender, about 3 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Add the turkey, crumbling it into the pan. Stir until it is almost cooked.
- Add the beans and tomatoes to the rest of the ingredients in the Dutch oven. Stir well, bringing to a boil; lower heat to a simmer and cover the pot.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender and the meat is cooked through.
Serve hot and add your favorite garnishes.
DISCLAIMER: These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. The information is for informational purposes and is not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any illness. Consult a physician before taking any action.
Want to contribute great content?
We are looking for contributors provide our readers with great healthy content to encourage positive living. If you're interested in becoming a contributor pease email us at firstname.lastname@example.org