Known as the “fruit of the Gods”, figs are native to the Middle East and are quite popular in Mediterranean cuisine. The fruit from a fig is actually an inverted flower that blooms inside a fleshy structure. Figs are a good source of fiber and potassium and can be eaten fresh or dried. Dried figs are often chopped and added to salads, grains or other dishes.
- Figs date back 80 million years! There are over 750 known species of figs.
- A serving of 3 large, fresh figs has 140 calories and 5.5 grams of dietary fiber.
- Fresh figs contain about 25 calories per ounce whereas fig cookies contain about 110 calories per ounce.
- Almost 100% (98%) of the supply of figs in the US come from California.
- A 3 ½ oz. serving of dried figs gives you 162 mg of calcium, which is 16% of the Daily Value.
- Figs do best in hot, dry climates like the Mediterranean.
Kitchen hacks for figs:
- They are delicious when sliced in quarters and eaten fresh.
- They can be served on green salads and go particularly well in an arugula salad.
- They are delicious served with berries or any fresh fruit.
- You can use them to top plain yogurt.
- You can put them on pizza!
- Add them to grilled veggies for a delicious treat.
Try this personal simple salad with greens and figs then make it disappear!
- 4 cups fresh seasonal greens (farmer’s market or local food store)
- ½ cup micro greens: pictured are garlic and radish microgreens (optional)
- Light spray of olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar to taste (we love the chocolate one with the figs)
- 1 cup sliced figs
- 3 olives sliced
- Burrata cheese to taste
Toss the salad together and serve immediately. It helps to put the figs on top after tossing so you don’t mush them
Many other friends can join or replace figs in this salad. Consider berries like strawberries, blackberries, or blueberries, too.
DISCLAIMER: These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. The information is for informational purposes and is not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any illness. Consult a physician before taking any action.
Want to contribute great content?
We are looking for contributors provide our readers with great healthy content to encourage positive living. If you're interested in becoming a contributor pease email us at firstname.lastname@example.org