This salad is the perfect showstopper just in time for Spring– and it’s versatile too! Serves 2.
4 cups mixed spring greens, rinsed and dried
1 green apple, rinsed
2 baby beets, rinsed
2 tsp avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
Flavored vinegar to taste
1/2 avocado, sliced
Toss the greens with the avocado oil, then pile them high on a plate. Shave the apples and beets on a mandolin or with a sharp knife. Thinly slice the apples. You can leave the skin on — just make sure you rinse them very well.
Garnish with the flavored vinegar, almonds, your favorite seeds or avocado slices.
- For the best results, spin the greens dry in a salad spinner.
- Lemon juice makes a great stand-in for flavored vinegar if you don’t have anything on hand.
- Avocado oil adds a nice mellow flavor to the salad.
- No mandolin? Shaky knife skills? Try shaving the vegetables with a sharp peeler instead.
Bonus: 10 tips to use veggies that are easy and delicious:
- Keep carrot and celery sticks, pepper strips, and cherry tomatoes on hand for quick grab snacks with hummus or Greek yogurt dip.
- Toss baby spinach leaves into your next salad or add to leftover pasta, rice, or other dishes before reheating.
- Use frozen mixed vegetables or chopped spinach in soup, stew, or as a side dish.
- Add chopped onions and peppers to eggs, grain bowls, or stir-fries.
- Use canned beans and tomatoes in beans, soups, or tacos.
- Brush carrots, kale, or Brussels sprouts with olive oil and a dash of seasoned salt and roast for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Sautee frozen green beans or broccoli with ginger, garlic, and soy sauce for a simple stir fry.
- Add mushrooms or spinach to pasta and other grain dishes.
- Grill asparagus, peppers, and onions.
- Try shaved Brussels sprouts, finely chopped kale, and broccoli slaw in a poppyseed dressing with chopped almonds and dried cranberries. It’s delightful!
DISCLAIMER: These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. The information is for informational purposes and is not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any illness. Consult a physician before taking any action.
Want to contribute great content?
We are looking for contributors provide our readers with great healthy content to encourage positive living. If you're interested in becoming a contributor pease email us at firstname.lastname@example.org