Gifts for the Heart
Remember your friends and sweetheart on Valentine’s day with a gift for their heart. You will celebrate both Valentine’s Day and February as American Heart Month. The benefits received from giving something fitness or health related can be ongoing and plentiful.
Small gifts are really big gifts when they are homemade. Our list below has many gift suggestions that can be bought or made from scratch along with big ones for bigger budgets.
This Valentine’s Day give a gift that truly symbolizes love or friendship. Show your sense of admiration by giving a gift that can help your loved ones feel great for an on-going period of time and that does more than just momentarily satisfy their sweet tooth. Make a lasting loving impression by surprising someone with:
- Basket of dried fruit for snacking
- Basketful of jarred salsas tied with a bow
- Basketful of flavored vinegars with a bow
- Box of flavored herb teas with a mug (can get a photo mug)
- Heart shaped basket of fruit
- Thermo Bottle for walking/exercise
- Exercise tee shirt (can get one with photo)
- Certificate for a homemade meal(s)
- Basket with flavored pasta and pasta sauce
- Supplies to plant an herb garden or
- Potted herbs tied with a bow
- Offer to be a walk/hike companion on a weekly basis
- Note of encouragement for a positive lifestyle change
- Your favorite heart-healthy recipe (even better when it comes with a sample!)
- Subscription to a fitness magazine such as Fitness
- Subscription to a healthy cooking magazine
- Healthy Cookbook
- New spice rack with low sodium seasonings and heart healthy recipes
- Gift certificate to a healthy restaurant
- Gift certificate to sporting goods store
- Gift card from Movita!
- Session(s) with a personal trainer
- Membership to a gym
- Gift certificate for a massage or treatments at a day spa
- Membership in a fruit of the month club
See below for fun recipes:
Valentine French Toast
3 egg whites
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 pieces whole grain bread
1 cup sliced strawberries
1/4 cup reduced calorie syrup
Mix egg whites and skim milk in a small mixing bowl with a fork or whisk. Add vanilla. Lightly spray a large nonstick skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Dip whole wheat grain bread into egg batter on both sides. Brown both sides of the French toast. Top each slice of French toast with a half cup of sliced strawberries and 2 tablespoons of reduced calorie syrup. Serves 2.
Valentine Berry Parfait
2 cups chopped berries, fresh or frozen/thawed
2 cups nonfat strawberry yogurt
Red sprinkles (optional)
Place berries in a medium-sized mixing bowl. In 4 parfait glasses, alternate layers of berries with the nonfat strawberry yogurt. Top with some red sprinkles. Chill until ready to serve.
DISCLAIMER: These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. The information is for informational purposes and is not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any illness. Consult a physician before taking any action.
Want to contribute great content?
We are looking for contributors provide our readers with great healthy content to encourage positive living. If you're interested in becoming a contributor pease email us at firstname.lastname@example.org