Soup is a wonderful way to enjoy barley and lentils. A tasty, hearty stew that’s packed with nutrients and fiber. This soup is delicious for lunch or dinner.
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 can stewed diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup lentils
- 2/3 cup Scotch barley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Black pepper to taste
Spray a large soup pan with a generous amount of vegetable oil cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Sauté the garlic and onion until they are golden brown, about 1 or 2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat so the mixture is at a light simmer. Cook until the barley and lentils are tender, about one hour to an hour and a half. Serve hot in a soup bowl.
- This soup goes well with a large tossed salad and whole grain bread.
- Lentils cook fast without soaking and are versatile for so many culinary creations. Lentils are great for “batch cooking”. Batch cooking refers to a) cooking dishes in big batches and freezing for many meals or b) cooking many meals at the beginning of the week. What I did was to cook a lot of one ingredient, lentils, and then I prepared them into many meals to use all week. By cooking just one or two ingredients, like beans or grains, you can lower your food cost because you are not buying so many ingredients.
- Barley helps reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. According to the FDA, “Soluble fiber” is a product containing low saturated fat and cholesterol. Barley provides at least 0.75 grams of soluble fiber per serving.
DISCLAIMER: These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. The information is for informational purposes and is not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any illness. Consult a physician before taking any action.
Want to contribute great content?
We are looking for contributors provide our readers with great healthy content to encourage positive living. If you're interested in becoming a contributor pease email us at email@example.com